Tis the season for sinus congestion, itchy eyes, scratchy throat, coughing and sneezing. Many of the allergy medicines on the market have a long list of side effects having allergy sufferers looking for natural alternatives to find relief. Below is a list of natural remedies and tips to explore. Hopefully some of the items below can provide some allergy symptom relief!
- Local Honey or Bee Pollen: raw, local honey helps decrease sensitivity to the local strains of pollen that are causing your discomfort. 1 tablespoon a day seems to be the general recommendation.
- Essential Oils: a combination of lemon, lavender and peppermint oil can be diffused in the air or applied behind the ears, chest, bottom of feet and forehead for congestion and respiratory relief.
- Neti Pot or Sinus Rinse: warm salt water clears allergens and dust from your nasal passages treating sinusitis, allergies and upper respiratory infections, like the common cold. Make sure to use sterile, distilled water to avoid dangerous bacteria from potentially entering your body.
- Apple Cider Vinegar: according to Wellness Mama, ACV can reduce mucus and purge the lymphatic system. Wellness mama recommends 1 teaspoon of organic, unfiltered ACV in water three times a day.
- Probiotics: according to Dr. Axe, over 80% of our immune function is stored in our gastrointestinal (GI) tract, so taking probiotics daily helps improve gut health and help keep us healthier
- Quercetin: studies suggest that this supplement could be a long-term remedy for seasonal allergies. It may take a few weeks for the benefits to begin working, so start taking this supplement (with your doctor’s approval) a few weeks before allergy season begins.
- Exercise in the evening: if you are an outdoor exerciser that suffers with seasonal allergies, doctors suggest moving your morning workouts to the evening as tree pollen distributes at dawn and ragweed is thickest around the middle of the day
- Change your clothes: when you get home from work or school changing your clothes allows you to breathe less allergy laden air from the pollen dust that has collected on your clothes all day
- Homeopathic Nasal Spray: Sinus Buster or Allergy Buster are my preferred choice for sinus congestion. Made with natural capsaicin, so it burns for a moment but the results are amazing!
- Drink hot tea: hot tea before bed removes the pollen dust and germs from your mouth and throat and sends them to your digestive tract to be eliminated before they can make a home in your body. Some good allergy fighting tea choices: https://www.libretea.com/teas-for-allergy-relief/